Tuesday, June 26, 2007

"Will Ya, Shut Up About Cricket Already!"

I blame it all on the Wicket Rider, the March Snow Storm and Boyce but this spring I turned into something I never thought I could be, an insufferable cricket fan and unabashed supporter of the South African team, for which I recently received a thorough scolding from my long time friend the Road Runner, "How could you?" he demanded, "I make it a point never to cheer for anything coming out of South Africa. It's against my politics." I thought all of this was rather unfair on his part especially since he's NOT from that part of the world. (I should also mention here that shortly after this exchange he asked me to help him find a "Sugar Mummy," who could keep him in the manner to which he would like to be accustomed with no questions asked, which is quite against my politics!)

Well South Africa did not win the CWC and it's now summer but my Cricket fandom hasn't ended. I spent this past Saturday cheering on my training partner Bat-Man (and of course knitting between matches--they were only playing 5 overs) at the CIMA's Mayor's Trophy, at Sunnybrook Park along with the Surly Teenager who quaffed cucumber sandwiches at an alarming rate and the Imperious Goth Tween who learned that a boundary was equal to 6 runs, and not my countless (but lame) attempts to impose a modicum of discipline in our household. The B & C on the other hand had never seen a Cricket match and couldn't believe how a) civilized it was, b) how easliy he could get caught up in the Zen of it all and c) how ultimately thrilling it could be.

Members of the Knit Rabble however, are getting sick of me "Pitching Cricket at them all the time." ("Will ya shut up already!" they beg) but then Blog Mistress Katherine found a Vogue Pattern, circa 1985 (you can tell from the hair) for a Cricket Sweater where the whole team is intarsia knitted into the whole sweater! What's even scarier is that I am contemplating making the damn thing!



3 comments:

Carla said...

That's a lot of cricket intarsia!

There was an interview on Metro Morning last week about women's cricket. They were looking for new players, maybe you should try out!

Mary deB said...

Yeah, I have that very magazine... I'd love to see you make that sweater!

REBEL KNITTER said...

Okay...
So I am married to a South African, and when the whole S.A. family gets together it's like I'm drowning in a giant shin-dig of Cricket Supporters.... so... I'm starting to get this whole cricket thing.... but just sort of-kind of.... (weird thing is when Ziggy was 2 years old and fell in love with cricket... he too looked at me exasperated and tried to explain how the sport works....)
Your B&C is right... My B&C's favorite childhood memories of going to the game are the cucumber sandwiches & tea that get served to the player at the break... (on the field!?) and the Breis (BBQs) behind the playing field at lunch time.. You really can't compare my 1970s memories of Expo's games to that: "Biere Froide... Coke... Pespi... Ot-Dogs...."
Madame Fibre Floozie -- do you not realize these 'cricket tests' go on for a week sometimes!?!?!
I propose you intarsia yourself that vogue pattern onto a very comfy tushy cushion -- it is considered neither correct nor civilized to do the 'wave' through the stands at a test... that's a lot of sitting at the cricket field -- unless of course you plan to play in the match -- but.... although you are extremely talented at walking and knitting -- can you bowl or bat & knit at the same time???? hmm... there is only one way to find out --- please let us know....