Sex Ed at school? I think that I have my work cut out for me. Depending on what they taught him, he may have some major unlearning to do! Given that he's kind of nerdy maybe I can get away with buying him a big thick book on human sexuality with no pictures in it. An appealing idea. Off to Indigo I go!

While I may have been negligent on the Sex Ed front I have not been re: Knit Ed. Both my kids, the ST and his sister the Imperious Goth Tween know where their clothes really come from--time, patience and hardwork (on my part or some "wage slave's" in the "developing world")--NOT the Mall. (Although when the IGT was little she thought that all her sweaters were made from something--perhaps a cashmere goat?--called "Scratch" I think she meant "stash".) Unfortunately not all children get any Knit Ed at home which Rebel Knitter discovered while Riding the Rocket to work.
Sweet 4 year old to Rebel, "Why are you swording?"
(Rebel knits aggressively)
Rebel, friendly, "I'm not sweetie... I'm knitting."
4 year old, innocently, "Why?"
Rebel, nonchalantly, "I'm making my nephew in Australia a sweater.""
Somewhat less sweet, 4 year old, still innocently, "Why? Is his mummy too poor to buy one in the store?"
Rebel irritated, "No... I'm making him a one of a kind sweater just for him because I love him and he asked me to knit him one."
Materialistic 4 year old, incredulously, "Oh.... don't they have The GAP where he lives?"
Rebel, patiently, "No. they don't have The GAP in Australia..."
4 year old, sadly, "That's too bad. I love the GAP."
Mother of 4 year old, loudly, "We're at the Mall. Let's go."
Rebel, to herself, exhausted, "Big Box Store Kid with Big Box Store mindset!"
I think it's time that the education system started offering Knit Ed, any Knit Ed!
3 comments:
For those who tried to zoom to my blog.... and couldn't... it's
www.thecolicfiles.blogspot.com...
the other one is www.knittishisms.blogspot.com -- though not in it's entirety...
Maybe rebel should've educated 4 year old that GAP clothes might be made by another 4 year old in an undeveloped country!
Some good news on this front -- this past weekend I was in my favourite soap 'n' shampoo shop, discussing knitting with one of the owners ('cos she's "one of us" *and* runs a way cool shop), and a girl in her early teens walked in. Turns out the girl *did* learn how to knit in school, plus took a class with a bunch of grown-up types to learn more.
The trick is, how do we get it back on the curriculum when most teachers can't knit?
Post a Comment