
You know as a formidable feminist knitter there are days when I truly believe that the women's movement has done squadoo to end women's inequality (except when it comes to the fibre arts, even if Kaffe Fasset does rule the colour wheel). Women still earn 70cents for every dollar a man earns doing work of equal value and yes while women may entering professional schools almost at par with men (c.f. the University of Toronto's Joseph L. Rotman School of Management), women with young children are over represented among the poor in this country (which means those who knit must do so with sayelle--described as the boxed macaroni of yarns while they feed their children perishable versions of the same obtained no doubt from some foodbank). Even in my own domestic arrangements the B & C, well intentioned as he is, just doesn't get it sometimes
("Did you remember the dry cleaning?") plus he makes three times my salary despite the fact that we have the same level of education and the complexity of our work is the same. (I'm not poor now but believe me when I say I'll be eating catfood in my old age.)
The 14 year old unreconstructed Marxist however, believes that if we just follow Lenin, we will have substantitive material equality. (I tried telling him that Lenin was not very nice to his wife and that women never achieved this in the
USSR, as some revolutionaries were more equal than others, but he just rolls his eyes at me and says that the Soviets were unable to complete their revolution because of a shortage of Cuban cigars or imperialistic capitalist forces, I'm not sure which). I was on the verge of giving up all hope of better power sharing arrangements between women and men when Bat-Man (so named for his Cricket prowess, not his resemblance to upside down mammilia) got assigned to me as my new training partner. Not only does he know when International Women's Day is (March 8th), but he loves his mum ("
She rocks!") and supports his women co-workers (e.g. he gets us coffee and remembers how we like it--black, double cream one and half sugar, milk and two sweetners). He can also say the word "feminist" with a straight face and understands what equality rights and affirmative action are
("Check out Section 15 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms"). There is however, no knitter in his life. (I strongly suspect that his mother is a crocheter who makes really great doilies given that she is a "proper" West Indian lady, but that's racial profiling and/or stereotyping which is NOT OKAY even if the criminal justice system does it all the time). I have knit him a cozy for his Cricket bat but anything else would be inappropriate (gotta keep that workplace professional!) Bat-Man however, could really use some cool cotton wrist bands in white of course for summer Cricket practice to keep him hitting hard and a nice cashmere something (scarf, hat, sweater?) for the winter to keep him warm while we schlep flip charts over the concrete tundra of Toronto's inner suburbs. Will someone PLEASE make this man some fabric?
5 comments:
Bat Man...Bat Man...Sounds like a nice bloke! If I weren't overflowing with knit-projects galore... I'd knit you a nice sweater... maybe a vest...
Surely there must be a nice, sweet SINGLE knitter with too much stash that can adopt BAT MAN as their personal pet 'to be knitted for' project. Fibre Floozie Is right! Who more deserving than a Man who knows his Mom Rocks?!
Hilarious post! You're absolutely right, he *is* hot and he sounds awesome. (but I'm on dating sabbatical) Great to see you yesterday, thanks for the cookies!! AL is such a cutie!
Missed the TTC knit along. To many kids to drive around the city and only two parents.
How about a BBQ at our house soon?
Yeah. That's why my eyes were all bloodshot at knitter's breakfast, I'd gone to NXNE the night before too.
Is AL the "imperious princess in goth girl gear"? I have 2 cute pictures of AL with the birdie, will email them to you. And a TTC KAL post to come on my blog.
Post a Comment