Sunday, May 13, 2007

Knitters Gone Wild

Okay it wasn't enough that I started and amourous affair with Ipswich (my angora goat) I also had to buy Jennifer Stafford's Domiknitrix: How to Whip Your Knitting into Shape.

I think I'm having a mid-life crisis. No one loves me, the B & C is golfing every weekend, the teenager is buried in his "pit of despair" (I mean bedroom) and the tween likes to pretend she doesn't know me when her friends are around. I've started hitting bars to knit (while wearing a head lamp of course so I can actually see the stitches) and I've gotten other people into it. My friend Bob the Bassist still can't believe that newbie knitter Nalini and I knit through his band Galactic Lunch's (or was it Pan Galactic Gargle Blasters'?) whole set recently at the Horseshoe.

I just bought tickets for Michael Franti and Spearhead at Kool Haus and then went shopping for a hip fanny pack so I could sneak my addi lace turbo needles and bamboo silk in to the concert. (Hey he's a vegan yogi and I don't want to be knitting with silk at his concert, it might disturb the karmanic harmonies or something.)

Worse, I've turned into a "Yarn Dom" yelling things like, "Take that you badly carded piece of roving!" while drop spindling.

I know that this a case of a knitter behaving badly but I'm making up for lost time. Back in the 1990s while my friends were hanging around NXNE enjoying the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Phantoms and Alien Lovechild, I was chasing "the Boy" about and knitting stupid animal toques. Then when everyone I knew was going to Y-2K parties and consumed with the apocalypse I was trying to wean "the Girl" ("Boobs bad, moo juice good.") and knitting Barbie Pink mittens (eew)

I wonder if security will notice me knitting at the Police and if Sting will care?

2 comments:

Gina said...

I think Sting is pretty cool for a muggle. He'd be ok with the knitting; might even want to sit down backstage for a lesson even!

Carla said...

I should go to Michael Franti too, he seems great. I've knit at rock shows and haven't had my needles confiscated, but that's no guarantee. A is a tween already!? Give BB a shoulder rub for me. See you on the 9th.